Ways to Give

In addition to making a donation by cash, check or credit card, you can also support UWS in the following ways.

Stocks and Bonds

In 2018, appreciated assets could be the smartest way to give. By gifting stocks or bonds held for more than one year, you can get a tax deduction for the full value of the asset, and avoid all capital gains taxes on appreciation! Consult with your financial advisor to make your gift in support of UWS.

Shares may be transferred to:
UWS Account: 08001881630
UWS DTC: 2803

Please let UWS know of your intent to transfer stock by emailing us at [email protected] so that your gift may be properly credited. 

IRA Required Minimum Distributions

Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) are withdrawals that the federal government requires an IRA participant to take annually from his/her Traditional IRAs after he/she reaches age 70½. Your RMD is usually taxed as ordinary income.

But if you turn your RMD into a qualified charitable distribution (QMD) to UWS, up to an annual maximum of $100,000, it’s not included in your gross income and does not count against the limits on deductions for charitable contributions. These can be significant advantages for certain high-income earners. Consult with your financial advisor to see if this method of giving is right for you.

In-Kind Donations

In-kind donations to the university may include equipment, books, anatomical models, permanent fixtures, professional services, artwork – the sky is the limit! All items however, must be approved by the department that will be using the gift. For example, the university librarian approves gifts of books; the dean of chiropractic approves gifts of adjusting tables, etc.

To get started, contact Amy Lodholz, director of donor relations at 503-847-2574 or [email protected].

Vehicle Donations

We are proud to accept vehicle donations in partnership with the non-profit Volunteers of America (VOA) Oregon. VOA Oregon handles the logistics of your donation and will walk you through the paperwork. For this service, VOA will receive 40 percent of the net proceeds of the at-auction purchase price of your vehicle, UWS receives 60 percent. One-hundred percent of the value is tax-deductible to you.

Start the process by visiting www.charity-connections.org and choosing University of Western States from the partner’s list. If you have questions, you may contact Ryan Foltz, vehicle donation manager at VOA Oregon at 503-239-7944. For more information view these FAQs.

Since 1896, VOA Oregon has provided a range of supportive and empowering services to our area’s most vulnerable populations – and works with them to rebuild their lives and reach their full potential. Learn more at www.voaor.org

Bequests and Planned Giving

Planned gifts include things like bequests, trusts and retirement or life insurance policies. Each method can offer various tax benefits depending on your personal financial situation. We will recognize you as a major donor to the university from the day you notify us of your intent to make a planned gift. For information about planned giving, consult your financial advisor or contact Amy Lodholz, director of donor relations at 503-847-2574 or [email protected].