Sport and Performance Psychology
The sport and performance psychology (SPP) graduate programs at University of Western States (UWS) provide students with the skills in positive and applied sport psychology needed to enhance performance and transform lives. Taught by distinguished faculty with extensive sport psychology program experience, the curriculum educates students on the process of success, creating and leading highly effective teams, using positive motivation and communication techniques, as well as setting and achieving high goals. The programs and faculty prepare graduates with the firsthand experience needed to serve as leaders in the sport, coaching, exercise, mental health counseling and wellness disciplines. The SPP programs offered include: Master of Science (MS), Doctor of Education (EdD), and an applied sport psychology certificate.
What do you need?
Prerequisite Entrance Requirements
All applicants will be reviewed holistically including their GPA, experience, service and accomplishments.
Master of Science Program
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent).
GPA Requirements: Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. *Applicants with a GPA below 2.75 please contact admissions.
Doctor of Education Program
Minimum Education: Master’s degree from an accredited college or university (or foreign equivalent).
GPA Requirements: Minimum graduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. *Applicants with a GPA below 3.0 please contact admissions.
Doctor of Education, CMHC Specialization Program
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (or foreign equivalent).
GPA Requirements: Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA in completed bachelor’s or a cumulative 3.0 GPA in a master’s program.
*Applicants with a GPA below 3.0 please contact admissions.
Applicants to the EdD in sport and performance psychology with a clinical mental health counseling specialization must be either a US citizen or permanent resident. Due to student visa restrictions, international applicants are not eligible for admission at this time.
Applied Sport Psychology Certificate
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent)
GPA Requirements: Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
*Applicants with a GPA below 2.75 please contact admissions.
Technology Requirements: Since this is an online program, you must have access to a reliable computer, basic computer skills and a dependable connection to the Internet.
- 1 quarter credit = .67 semester credits
- 1.5 quarter credits = 1 semester credit
- 5 quarter credits = 3.33 semester credits
How to Apply
Entry Terms and Application Deadlines
Entry Terms: fall and spring
Admission Deadlines: Applicants are encouraged to submit their application and all supporting documents sixty days prior to their intended start date. Listed below are the priority and final deadlines that may be helpful in planning your application submission.
Priority Application Deadline – January 21, 2022
Final Deadline – February 4, 2022
Deposit Deadline – February 18, 2022
Classes begin April 4, 2022
Priority Application Deadline – July 22, 2022
Final Deadline – August 5, 2022
Deposit Deadline – August 19, 2022
Classes begin October 3, 2022
- Applicants with in-progress coursework will still be considered for admission and are asked to submit final transcripts upon course completion.
- We understand that some applicants may be waiting on final grades from prerequisite coursework to submit final official transcripts after the final deposit deadline.
- We require that students submit their entire application, supporting documentation and be successfully interviewed and deposited by the deposit deadline.
- If you are unable to submit your application and materials by the final deadline, please contact the admissions office at [email protected] or 800-641-5641.
- Transcripts: UWS requires official transcripts from all prior college and universities. Official transcripts should be mailed directly from those institutions to the UWS office of admissions. Our mailing address is: 8000 NE Tillamook St., Portland, OR 97213. UWS also accepts electronic transcripts from EScript-Safe and Parchment. Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded and attached to your application.
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Applicants are encouraged to use professional or academic references whom are most familiar with your former studies, academic interest and work.
- Interview: A personal interview is required of all applicants. The UWS office of admissions will contact you directly to schedule a personal interview after your application and transcripts have been reviewed. Interviews may be completed either in-person or via Zoom video conference.
- $50 application fee
- International applicants must also fulfill the international student admission requirements.
Additional Requirements for Full Acceptance
- Successful completion of a background check through our approved partner, Advanced Reporting. A link to complete this process will be sent to you upon your offer of conditional acceptance to UWS.