University of Western States offers an applied sport psychology (ASP) graduate certificate for those interested in completing specialized graduate level coursework. The program is 100% online and can be completed in under a year.
Length: 3 quarters
Credits: 24 quarter credits (16 semester credits)
View tuition and cost of attendance information.
Applied Sport Psychology (ASP)
The ASP certificate program is designed to help students complete courses that have been identified as meeting AASP’s Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC®) coursework requirements, enhance professional development in their current career, and/or explore their interest in the profession of sport and performance psychology.
The ASP certificate program is designed to help students complete remaining K1-K8 Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC®) coursework requirements. The certificate requires a total of 24 quarter-credits completed at UWS. If a candidate has already completed a graduate level core course that fulfills an Association of Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) CMPC® requirement, the student may request approval from the program director to take a different approved elective course within the program. It is the responsibility of the student to stay current with the CMPC® candidate handbook published by AASP.
*24 quarter credits equivalent to 16 semester credits.
24 total quarter credits | 6 courses
Please refer to course descriptions in the EdD in sport and performance psychology section.
- Describe major concepts and current trends in research pertaining to mental health counseling and sport psychology
- Identify and explain the legal and ethical issues involved with mental health counseling practice and consulting in sport psychology
- Demonstrate the ability to design activities and ethical interventions in sport and performance contexts that will lead to improved performance and satisfaction
- Communicate through discussion and writing the terminology, concepts, and connections between science, counseling and sport psychology practice
- Recognize and integrate a variety of techniques available to improve health, enhance performance, and improve overall wellness
8 AASP Knowledge Competency Areas
- Sport Psychology Professional Ethics and Standards
- Sport Psychology
- Sport Science (Physiological Bases of Sport, Historical/Social/Motor Bases of Sport)
- Helping Relationships (Counseling Skills)
- Statistics and Research Methods
- Psychological Foundations (previously C9-C12)
- Diversity and Culture