Financial Aid

The office of financial aid strives to bring the cost of education within reach through a variety of financial aid programs. Learn the basics here. Please do not hesitate to email the office of financial aid or call 971-449-9223 if you have any further questions.

Non-Discrimination Policy
Pursuant to university Policies 1013 and 2001, University of Western States admits students of any race, color, nationality, ethnic origin, sex or age to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the university. Find out more about this policy and how you can handle inquiries.

What do you need?

Financial Aid Basics

  1. The primary source of federal funding for graduate education is through student loans.
  2. Students are free to pursue non-federal loans (through a bank or other lending agency).
  3. You must file a FAFSA for each academic year you will attend and plan to receive financial aid. UWS awards on a summer through spring cycle. The FAFSA is available online at
  4. Federal loans will require completion of a “Master Promissory Note” and “Entrance Counseling” before those funds can be disbursed.
  5. Federal loans are paid on a quarterly basis, and if you have completed all the required paperwork and eligibility requirements on time, will typically be paid to your student account during week two of each term.
  6. Half-time enrollment is required each term both for eligibility for new loans for that quarter, and to maintain the in-school deferment status on your existing loans. We recommend talking to your advisor or program director about your course plan for your degree.
  7. If you have any questions, contact the financial aid office by phone at 971-449-9223 or by email at [email protected].

Eligibility, Application and Receiving Funds

U.S. Students


To qualify for U.S. financial aid you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible permanent resident.
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree or certificate.
  • Not be in violation of any federal student aid regulations.

How to apply:

To apply for aid, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The university’s federal school code is 012309. To ensure that you have access to all available aid, we recommend that you apply as early as possible.

After you file your FAFSA:

After you file, additional information may be needed to fairly and accurately determine your need. As part of the verification process, you may be asked to submit a copy of your tax transcript, W-2s, verification worksheets and other potential documents. If further information is needed, students will be notified by email.

After you complete the financial aid application process:

Your financial aid application will be reviewed after you have been admitted to a degree or certificate program at University of Western States. Once all requested financial aid documents have been returned, you will receive information about your financial aid offer via email.

What to expect in your financial aid package:

  • Total cost estimate of your academic program
  • Information on the types of aid included on your award letter
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress policy
  • Information on additional federal loan options, if applicable

Calculating Eligibility:

The information you provide on your FAFSA is used to determine your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Statutory formulas take into account untaxed income, assets, the number of people in your household, etc. The financial aid office determines your financial need by subtracting your EFC from the cost of attendance (COA), which is also known as the student budget.

Total Cost – Estimated Contribution = Financial Need

You are permitted to receive up to the total cost of attendance from all sources, including but not limited to, direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans, grants, scholarships, stipends, etc.

Disbursement Information

The office of financial aid disburses funds for students attending on-campus programs prior to the start of each term and refunds are typically available on the first day of the term for students who have completed all requirements at least a week prior to the start of the term. For students attending on-line programs, the office of financial aid disburses funds as soon as enrollment and participation can be confirmed, and refunds are typically available as a direct deposit or check to be mailed within three business days. Outside of the start of the term, UWS processes disbursements and refunds at least weekly over the remainder of the term for students who become eligible or are approved for additional funding. Any student, including on-line students, requiring access to books prior to the 7th day of the term may contact the UWS library, which maintains copies of course books for lending, or the financial aid office to discuss additional questions.

International Students

Aid from your home country

International students often receive government-funded loans and grants from their countries of origin, and may also utilize educational lines of credit and other alternative sources of loans to cover their educational expenses at UWS.  For assistance in determining what types of federal aid are available from your home country, please contact your country’s education department. For information on lines of credit or alternative loans, we suggest that you research the available options at banks and other financial institutions in your country. If you are required to provide proof of your educational costs to receive financial aid from your home country, please send the necessary documents to the financial aid office for certification. Contact the registrar for proof of enrollment.

International DC Student Grant

University of Western States provides a $1,000 USD per term grant to eligible international students enrolling full time in the doctor of chiropractic program. To remain eligible, students must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA while enrolled in the doctor of chiropractic program. 

Canadian Student Aid

Find contact information for provincial and territorial student financial assistance offices here.


DC Canadian Scholarship

International students from Canada enrolled in the doctor of chiropractic (DC) program are also eligible for the DC Canadian Scholarship. To be eligible for the scholarships, students must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA in the DC program. The international grant and DC Canadian Scholarship combined generally provides students a tuition reduction of about 20 percent. The DC Canadian Scholarship is subject to modification based on quarterly reviews by the university.


What is a FAFSA?
Students need to apply for need-based federal student aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. The FAFSA will determine a student’s “Expected Family Contribution (EFC)” toward his or her education for that year. This will be used to decide what types of financial aid a student is eligible to receive.

What is my Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and why does it seem so high?
The EFC is a federal calculation that is an estimate of your family’s ability to contribute to your education during an academic year. The calculation takes into account your family size, number of family members in enrolled in college (excluding your parents if you are a dependent student), family income, family assets, taxes paid and a number of other factors. The EFC often seems high but remember that it does not necessarily represent the amount you and/or your family must pay to the school for direct educational expenses. It is simply meant to be an approximate measure of your family’s ability to contribute. The EFC can be covered, if necessary, with student and/or parent loans.

Can I receive financial aid for my concurrent degree program at UWS?
Students who are concurrently enrolled at UWS in two or more programs may request loans to cover the additional costs associated with the additional program(s). Generally, the additional funding is provided in the form of a Grad PLUS loan. Contact the financial aid office ([email protected] ) to obtain a Funding Request for Additional Programs form.

Is financial aid available for certificate programs?
Financial aid is available for the Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine Certificate and the Applied Sport Psychology Certificate. However, it is not available for any other graduate certificate programs at this time.

Is financial aid available for undergraduate programs?
When it comes to UWS undergraduate programs, financial aid information will vary from student to student. Please contact the financial aid office by email ([email protected]) or phone (971-449-9215) to discuss your individualized financial aid approach.

Where’s my money?
Please contact the UWS financial aid office for your financial aid status information.

I’m dropping class, how does this affect financial aid?
If you are dropping one class, you may be eligible for a refund. Please see Policy 3021 Tuition and Fees Refund for more details. If you need to withdraw from the term, please fill out the Leave Inquiry Form.

I’m starting school soon, what steps do I need to take to receive financial aid?
First step, complete a FAFSA at as soon as possible. If you have already completed a FAFSA, be sure to include the UWS School Code: 012309.

Contact the office of financial aid at [email protected] or 971-449-9223 if you have any questions.