Clinical Mental Health Counseling

sport-health-wellness viewbook
Click to read viewbook

The clinical mental health counseling (CMHC) curriculum at University of Western States (UWS) is supported by research in the field, evidence-based practices and clinical experiences provided by highly-trained faculty.

The Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and the doctoral degree: clinical mental health counseling, sport and performance specialization (MS-CMHC and EdD-CMHC, SP specialization) integrate sport and performance content. The clinical mental health counseling graduate program emphasizes a systems approach in which students consider the influence of families, groups, teams and organizations on individual mental health and performance.

Both the MS-CMHC degree and the EdD-CMHC, SP specialization degree are completed fully online with consistent and meaningful contact with faculty and instructors.

Full Integration of Sport and Performance Content

All CMHC courses integrate sport and performance psychology (SPP) components and SPP courses integrate CMHC components. In addition to within-course integration of sport and performance content, this degree option places clinical counseling courses alongside sport and performance courses during most terms. Learn more about the sport and performance psychology program.

Standardized Patient Program

One of the unique features of this program is the standardized patient component, which provides unique and personalized learning for clinical mental health counseling students. Faculty design specific case studies, which create opportunities for students to apply their knowledge in simulated “real-world” scenarios with specially trained actors. Students also have the opportunity to design their own case studies to demonstrate conceptualization skills and process understanding.

Watch this three-minute segment to see Dr. Julie Lerwick, CMHC professor, working with an actor from the standardized patient program.