Admissions Information

Non-Degree Coursework

Non-degree seeking students may enroll in certain courses offered through the College of Graduate Studies. Enrollment as a non-degree student does not constitute a commitment by University of Western States to grant program admission at a later date. If subsequently admitted to the degree program, up to 18 non-degree credits earned at UWS with a grade of B or higher may be applied toward the degree at the discretion of the vice president for academic affairs. Please refer to Policy 1214 Non-Degree Seeking Students for additional details.

For any and all questions regarding non-degree coursework, please email [email protected] or call 800-641-5641.

What do you need?

Prerequisite Entrance Requirements

Non-degree coursework requires the applicant to meet the general academic admissions requirements for the college of Graduate Studies:

  • A bachelor’s degree completed with a minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA from an institutionally accredited college or university. International students must have completed the equivalent of a four-year American baccalaureate degree. While a bachelor’s degree is preferred, applicants who hold a first-professional degree (e.g., DC, ND, MD, etc.) from an accredited institution are not required to also hold a bachelor’s degree.
  • Applicants with a cumulative GPA below 2.75, but at least 2.50, may still be accepted on a case-by-case basis with at least a median score on a standardized graduate entrance exam, such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
  • Prospective students for whom English is not their native language must provide proof of adequate English language skills. UWS expects a minimum score of 80 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). Alternatively, a minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) will satisfy the language requirement.

Enrollment in non-degree coursework is at the discretion of program director approval and will only be considered with a completed application by the term deadline. Please reach out to [email protected] if you have questions.

Credit Conversion:

  • 1 quarter credit = .67 semester credits
  • 1.5 quarter credits = 1 semester credit
  • 5 quarter credits = 3.33 semester credits

How to Apply

Entry Terms and Application Deadlines

Entry Terms Per Program for Non-Degree Seeking Students:

  • Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine: Spring, Fall
  • Sport and Performance Psychology: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
  • Sports Medicine: Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall
  • Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall

Summer 2024

Priority Application Deadline- April 1, 2024
Final Deadline – May 30, 2024
Deposit Deadline – May 30, 2024
Classes begin- July 8, 2024

Fall 2024

Priority Application Deadline- July 28, 2024
Final Deadline – August 18, 2024
Deposit Deadline – August 23, 2024
Classes begin- October 7, 2024

Deadline Considerations:

  • Applicants with in-progress coursework will still be considered for admission and are asked to submit final transcripts upon course completion.
  • If you are unable to submit your application and materials by the final deadline, please contact the admissions office at [email protected] or 800-641-5641.

Application Requirements and Process

  • Transcripts: UWS requires official transcripts from all prior college and universities. Official transcripts should be mailed directly from those institutions to the UWS office of admissions. Our mailing address is: 8000 NE Tillamook St., Portland, OR 97213. UWS also accepts electronic transcripts from EScript-Safe and Parchment. Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded and attached to your application.
  • $50 application fee
  • After your application and transcripts are received, the admissions office will reach out to the program director for coursework approval and then register you for the appropriate coursework. Non-degree students may not register themselves for coursework and are subject to the approval of the program directors.


Can I receive financial aid for Non-Degree coursework?

Students applying for and enrolling in non-degree coursework are ineligible for financial aid and scholarships. Please reach out to financial aid for more questions.

For which programs can I complete non-degree coursework?

Only courses within the College of Graduate Studies are open to non-degree coursework. Coursework within the College of Chiropractic is not open for non-degree enrollment.

Do I need to submit transcripts from all institutions attended, even if it was one course unrelated to my degree?

Yes, with your application you are required to submit transcripts for all college level coursework completed from the original institution at which the courses were completed.