Though we couldn’t be in person to celebrate our 2021 graduates, we are pleased to announce our virtual commencement ceremony on June 18, 2021!
Key elements of the ceremony include:
- Student commencement address by Ben Steel, EdD candidate with distinction.
- Keynote commencement address by Sonny Ramaswamy, PhD, MS, President of the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- University address by UWS President Joseph Brimhall.
- Presentation of degree candidates recognizing your hard work and perseverance.
- Upcoming Dates:
Spring 2021 – Friday, June 18, 2021
- Time: Ceremony will be available for viewing beginning at 11 a.m. on June 18, 2021.
- Location: Ceremony will be available for viewing beginning at 11 a.m. on June 18, 2021.
- Live Stream: Link to the pre-recorded ceremony will become available as we near the date of commencement.
Students in the college of chiropractic are eligible to participate in commencement if:
- They are on track to complete their degree requirements during the term that commencement is held;
- The degree requirements were met in a previous term; or
- They are on track to complete their degree requirements in the term immediately following commencement.
Students in the college of graduate studies are eligible to participate in commencement if:
- They are on track to complete their degree requirements during the term that commencement is held; or
- The degree requirements were met in a previous term.
Participating in the commencement ceremony does not signify completion of your academic program.
Questions about your eligibility to participate can be sent to [email protected].
Diploma Confirmation and Commencement RSVP
All eligible candidates will receive an email to confirm their diploma information and to RSVP for the commencement ceremony during the first week of either spring or fall quarter. If you do not receive this email please email [email protected].
- If you choose not to be part of the virtual ceremony you still need to fill out the form to enter your diploma information.
- If you are unable to attend the commencement ceremony you can request two complimentary copies of the program to be mailed to your home.
Parking, Transportation and Travel
The ceremony will be held virtually.
The open house will not be taking place due to current COVID-19 regulations.
For those visiting from out of town, here are some resources to help you explore the surrounding area.
TBD—will be determined at a later date.
All graduates will be able to nominate a peer as the student speaker. Details to nominate a candidate will be sent with the diploma confirmation and commencement RSVP ceremony.
Dr. Sonny Ramaswamy, President and CEO of Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
The ceremony will be held via a virtual pre-recorded ceremony.
FAQs for Summer 2021
Gifts for graduates
Not applicable due to virtual format.
Not applicable due to virtual format.
Public Transportation Graduates will be given two one-way MAX tickets. Tickets can be picked up in the bookstore the week before commencement.Stop ID 8341 goes eastbound from the convention center, while Stop ID 8376 goes west-boundFrom the Portland International Airport, there are transportation options including shuttles (many airport hotels offer free services), taxicabs and ride service options (e.g. Lyft and Uber), as well as the MAX light rail. For more information, check here.</p>
Parking All graduates will be given one parking voucher for the Oregon Convention Center. Vouchers will be available after the ceremony for graduates and employees (one a piece) at the UWS info table in the commencement dressing area. All other parking is the responsibility of the other drivers. Details for the OCC garage can be found here.
Lodging There are many hotels to choose from in the Portland area. To help with your selection, please visit www.travelportland.com for information on Portland hotels. UWS has connections with Hotelstorm. Use the code “alumni” to apply the UWS discount code when searching for lodging opportunities.
Gifts for Graduates Guests are welcome to bring gifts for graduates; however any distracting items or items that will obscure other guests’ views will need to be located at the side or back of the ballroom. Please note that helium-filled balloons are not permitted in any part of the Oregon Convention Center (OCC). No exceptions. When arriving to the UWS commencement dressing area, there will be clear signage for where you should check-in, as well as sections for each program so you can mingle more with your program cohorts.
Photos Two professional photos will be taken of you during the commencement ceremony. You can purchase copies of these photos a few days after the ceremony at www.gradimages.com Photos from throughout the day will also promptly be posted on UWS social media. Check them out later on the day of graduation here. Photo 1 – While shaking hands with Dr. Brimhall as he hands you the diploma cover. Photo 2 – After you leave the stage stand in front of the background holding your diploma for a ¾ length photo.