- Upcoming Date: Friday, December 17, 2021
- Time: Ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. Guest seating will open at 10 a.m.
- Location: Oregon Convention Center, 777 NE Martine Luther King, Jr. Blvd, Portland, OR 97232
- Safety Requirements: For everyone five years of age or older, face coverings required; for everyone twelve years of age or older, proof of vaccination or proof of negative COVID-19 test taken with two days of the ceremony required. Attendees 12 and older will need to bring photo ID along with their proof of vaccination or recent negative test results.
Diploma Confirmation and Commencement RSVP
All eligible candidates will receive an email to confirm their diploma information and to RSVP for the commencement ceremony during the first week of either spring or fall quarter. If you do not receive this email please email [email protected].
Students in the college of chiropractic are eligible to participate in commencement if:
They are on track to complete their degree requirements during the term that commencement is held;
The degree requirements were met in a previous term; or
They are on track to complete their degree requirements in the term immediately following commencement.
Students in the college of graduate studies are eligible to participate in commencement if:
They are on track to complete their degree requirements during the term that commencement is held; or
The degree requirements were met in a previous term.
Participating in the commencement ceremony does not signify completion of your academic program.
Questions about your eligibility to participate can be sent to [email protected].
Students are responsible for purchasing their own regalia for Commencement. UWS has partnered with Oak Hall for ordering regalia. More information will be shared soon about ordering regalia. Graduates, please watch for an email with instructions for ordering regalia!
Instructions for ordering regalia will be provided to all eligible candidates via email.
Required Safety Precautions
To comply with Oregon state requirements, the Oregon Convention Center has implemented the following measures to minimize the risk of COVID-19 infection:
- Face coverings are required for attendees five years or older within all indoor settings at the Oregon Convention Center.
- Required proof of vaccination or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within two days of the event, for all attendees 12 years and older.
- Proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 test status will be verified at the entrance to the venue. Attendees 12 years and older will need to bring both proof of vaccination/negative test result and a photo ID for verification at the door.
All UWS graduates, employees, and guests are required to comply with the both the face covering and vaccination/testing requirements.
For more information about the venue’s COVID-19 vaccination/testing requirement, please visit the Oregon Convention Center webpage. For more information about the state face covering requirement, please visit the Oregon Secretary of State webpage.
Parking, Transportation and Travel
- Graduates will be given two one-way MAX tickets. Tickets can be picked up in the bookstore the week before commencement.
- Stop ID 8341 goes eastbound from the convention center, while Stop ID 8376 goes west-bound
- From the Portland International Airport, there are transportation options including shuttles (many airport hotels offer free services), taxicabs and ride service options (e.g. Lyft and Uber), as well as the MAX light rail. For more information, check here.
- All graduates will be given one parking voucher for the Oregon Convention Center. Vouchers will be available after the ceremony for graduates and employees (one a piece) at the UWS info table in the commencement dressing area.
- All other parking is the responsibility of the other drivers.
- Details for the OCC garage can be found here.
There are many hotels to choose from in the Portland area. To help with your selection, please visit www.travelportland.com for information on Portland hotels.
More information about a UWS campus open house will be available soon!
For those visiting from out of town, here are some resources to help you explore the surrounding area.
A Keynote speaker will be announced as the date approaches.
All graduates will be able to nominate a peer as the student speaker. Details to nominate a candidate will be sent with the diploma confirmation and commencement RSVP ceremony.
Additional information for graduates about timelines and components of the commencement ceremony will be shared soon!
FAQs for Winter 2021
Gifts for graduates
Gifts for Graduates Guests are welcome to bring gifts for graduates; however any distracting items or items that will obscure other guests’ views will need to be located at the side or back of the ballroom.
Please note that helium-filled balloons are not permitted in any part of the Oregon Convention Center (OCC). No exceptions.
When arriving to the UWS commencement dressing area, there will be clear signage for where you should check-in, as well as sections for each program so you can mingle more with your program cohorts.
Two professional photos will be taken of you during the commencement ceremony. You can purchase copies of these photos a few days after the ceremony at www.gradimages.com.
Photos from throughout the day will also promptly be posted on UWS social media. Check them out here later on the day of graduation.
Photo 1 – While shaking hands with Dr. Brimhall as he hands you the diploma cover.
Photo 2 – After you leave the stage stand in front of the background holding your diploma for a ¾ length photo.