- Upcoming Dates: Fall 2019 – Thursday, December 12, 2019; Spring 2020 – Friday, June 19, 2020.
- Time: 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Guest seating begins at 10:30 a.m.
- Location: Oregon Convention Center, 777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Portland Oregon
- Ballroom: Fall 2019 Oregon Ballroom; Spring 2020 Portland Ballroom
- Venue Map: https://www.oregoncc.org/visitors/inside-occ
- Live Stream: https://zoom.us/j/613979981
- Accessibility: Please email [email protected] if you have mobility challenges
Tune in to commencement even if you can’t be there in person!
UWS is excited to share that for the first time, the commencement ceremony will be live streamed via Zoom! Family and friends who cannot be there in person, follow along and share in this momentous achievement.
Zoom, the hosting platform, is easy to use, but requires a few simple steps for set-up.
Watch the quick tutorial video so you can have devices prepped and ready when the ceremony begins. Feel free to share this link with those who are interested in following along the live stream.
Join the live stream for our upcoming commencement: Friday, June 14, 2019. Ceremonies begin at 11 a.m. PST.
Commencement Program: June 2019
Students in the college of chiropractic are eligible to participate in commencement if:
- They are on track to complete their degree requirements during the term that commencement is held;
- The degree requirements were met in a previous term; or
- They are on track to complete their degree requirements in the term immediately following commencement.
Students in the college of graduate studies are eligible to participate in commencement if:
- They are on track to complete their degree requirements during the term that commencement is held; or
- The degree requirements were met in a previous term.
Participating in the commencement ceremony does not signify completion of your academic program.
Questions about your eligibility to participate can be sent to [email protected].
Diploma Confirmation and Commencement RSVP
All eligible candidates will receive an email to confirm their diploma information and to RSVP for the commencement ceremony during the first week of either spring or fall quarter. If you do not receive this email please email [email protected].
- If you are unable to attend you still need to fill out the form to enter your diploma information.
- If you are unable to attend the commencement ceremony you can request two complimentary copies of the program to be mailed to your home.
- All graduates who elect to have their name in the program will be listed whether they plan to attend the ceremony or not.
- Due dates for diploma confirmation and commencement RSVP:
- Fall 2019 – October 25, 2019
- Spring 2020 – April 24, 2020
Your regalia is your cap and gown and is complimentary from UWS and yours to keep after the ceremony.
- There will be no charge. All regalia will be shipped directly to UWS.
- Regalia is only provided to students who plan on attending the commencement ceremony.
- Regalia will be available for pickup on campus the week prior to commencement ceremony, details will be emailed to you in regards to dates, times and place.
- Please plan on steaming your regalia before the commencement ceremony. Do not iron your gown with high heat.
Parking, Transportation and Travel
- Graduates will be given two one-way MAX tickets. Tickets can be picked up in the bookstore the week before commencement.
- Stop ID 8341 goes eastbound from the convention center, while Stop ID 8376 goes west-bound
- From the Portland International Airport, there are transportation options including shuttles (many airport hotels offer free services), taxicabs and ride service options (e.g. Lyft and Uber), as well as the MAX light rail. For more information, check here.
- All graduates will be given one parking voucher for the Oregon Convention Center. Vouchers will be available after the ceremony for graduates and employees (one a piece) at the UWS info table in the commencement dressing area.
- All other parking is the responsibility of the other drivers.
- Details for the OCC garage can be found here.
There are many hotels to choose from in the Portland area. To help with your selection, please visit www.travelportland.com for information on Portland hotels.
- UWS has connections with Hotelstorm. Use the code “alumni” to apply the UWS discount code when searching for lodging opportunities.
Please join us for an open house reception for graduates and guests on campus from 5:30 to 7 p.m. the evening before the commencement ceremony. This is an opportunity for graduates to celebrate their accomplishments with fellow classmates and their families.
- Light refreshments will be served, and the campus will be open for tours.
- All graduates will have the opportunity to have a professional business photo taken at the open house.
- Open House Dates: Spring 2019 – Thursday June 13, 2019. Fall 2019 – Wednesday, December 11, 2019.
For those visiting from out of town here are some links to help explore the surrounding area.
All graduates will be able to nominate a pier as the student speaker. Details to nominate a candidate will be sent with the diploma confirmation and commencement RSVP ceremony.
The university is proud to announce Dr. Aviad Haramati as the keynote speaker for the Spring 2019 commencement ceremony.
Aviad “Adi” Haramati, PhD, is Professor of Integrative Physiology in the Departments of Biochemistry, Molecular & Cellular Biology and Medicine (Nephrology), and co-director of the CAM graduate program at Georgetown University Medical Center. He received a PhD in physiology from the University of Cincinnati and came to Georgetown after five years at Mayo Clinic. His research interests addressed renal and electrolyte homeostasis, but now he focuses on medical education and rethinking how health professionals are trained. In April 2013, he was named the inaugural director of the Center for Innovation and Leadership in Education (CENTILE) at Georgetown University Medical Center (GUMC).
- 8:30 a.m. Graduates arrive at the Oregon Convention Center and follow signs to the dressing room
- 9 a.m. Graduate class photo session
- 9:30 a.m. Graduates line-up for dress rehearsal
- 10:30 a.m. Guests are allowed to take their seats
- 10:55 a.m. Processional line up outside of Ballroom
- 11 a.m. Commencement ceremony begins
- 12:30 p.m. Commencement ceremony ends
Students participating in the ceremony need to arrive promptly at 8:30 a.m. at the Oregon Convention Center. Enter the dressing room then proceed to the check-in table. Once students are assembled and in full regalia, class photos will be taken and the dress rehearsal will begin. You must arrive on time to be included in the group photo.
Gifts for graduates
- Guests are welcome to bring gifts for graduates; however any distracting items or items that will obscure other guests’ views will need to be located at the side or back of the ballroom.
- Please note that helium-filled balloons are not permitted in any part of the Oregon Convention Center (OCC). No exceptions.
- When arriving to the UWS commencement dressing area, there will be clear signage for where you should check-in, as well as sections for each program so you can mingle more with your program cohorts.
Two professional photos will be taken of you during the commencement ceremony. You can purchase copies of these photos a few days after the ceremony at www.gradimages.com
Photos from throughout the day will also promptly be posted on UWS social media. Check them out later on the day of graduation here.
- Photo 1 – While shaking hands with Dr. Brimhall as he hands you the diploma cover.
- Photo 2 – After you leave the stage stand in front of the background holding your diploma for a ¾ length photo.