The Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) program at University of Western States (UWS) is designed for students who want to diagnose and treat those with mental health disorders as licensed counselors. As careers progress, students can become clinical supervisors and mental and behavioral health program administrators.
The comprehensive, systems-based approach to the curriculum covers eight core content areas and special courses in trauma, addiction, couples and families, and psychopharmacology. Students will cover professional counseling orientation and ethical practice; social and cultural diversity; human growth and development; career development; counseling and helping relationships; group counseling and group work; assessment and testing; and research and program evaluation.
University of Western States also offers a doctorate of education (EdD) in sport and performance psychology, with a focus on clinical mental health counseling. This program is an ideal option for candidates who may be interested in earning their clinical mental health counseling master’s and an EdD in sport and performance psychology in one streamlined program. Learn more about the EdD in sport and performance psychology with clinical mental health counseling specialization.
What do you need?
Prerequisite Entrance Requirements
Master of Science Program
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent).
GPA Requirements: Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. 3.0 undergraduate GPA preferred. *Applicants with a GPA below 2.75 please contact admissions.
Applicants to the master’s in clinical mental health counseling program must be either a US citizen or permanent resident. Due to student visa restrictions, international applicants are not eligible for admission at this time.
Technology Requirements: Since this is an online program, you must have access to a reliable computer, basic computer skills and a dependable connection to the Internet.
- 1 quarter credit = .67 semester credits
- 1.5 quarter credits = 1 semester credit
- 5 quarter credits = 3.33 semester credits
How to Apply
Entry Terms and Application Deadlines
Entry Terms: fall and spring
Admission Deadlines: Applicants are encouraged to submit their application and all supporting documents 60 days prior to their intended start date. Listed below are the priority and final deadlines that may be helpful in planning your application submission.
Priority Application Deadline – January 21, 2022
Final Deadline – February 4, 2022
Deposit Deadline – February 18, 2022
Classes begin April 4, 2022
Priority Application Deadline – July 22, 2022
Final Deadline – August 5, 2022
Deposit Deadline – August 19, 2022
Classes begin October 3, 2022
- Applicants with in-progress coursework will still be considered for admission and are asked to submit final transcripts upon course completion.
- We understand that some applicants may be waiting on final grades from prerequisite coursework to submit final official transcripts after the final deposit deadline.
- We require that students submit their entire application, supporting documentation and be successfully interviewed and deposited by the deposit deadline.
- If you are unable to submit your application and materials by the final deadline, please contact the admissions office at [email protected] or 800-641-5641.
- Transcripts: UWS requires official transcripts from all prior college and universities. Official transcripts should be mailed directly from those institutions to the UWS office of admissions. Our mailing address is: 8000 NE Tillamook St., Portland, OR 97213. UWS also accepts electronic transcripts from EScript-Safe and Parchment. Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded and attached to your application.
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Applicants are encouraged to use professional or academic references whom are most familiar with your former studies, academic interest and work.
- Interview: A personal interview is required of all applicants. The UWS office of admissions will contact you directly to schedule a personal interview after your application and transcripts have been reviewed. Interviews may be completed either in-person or via Zoom video conference.
- $50 application fee
- International applicants must also fulfill the international student admission requirements.
Additional Requirements for Full Acceptance
- Successful completion of a background check through our approved partner, Advanced Reporting. A link to complete this process will be sent to you upon your offer of conditional acceptance to UWS.