About the SPP Doctoral Program
The doctorate of education (EdD) program in sport and performance psychology was designed to offer advanced training for individuals in coaching, business, health care, education, leadership and administrative careers. This program includes two concentration options: 1. Positive Leadership and Administration 2. Individual Studies. Students may also complete coursework for the sports nutrition and applied sport psychology certificate within the individualized coursework option.
UWS also offers a specialization in clinical mental health counseling within the EdD-SPP program for those interested in pursuing counseling licensure. This integrated EdD degree includes a master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling conferred after the first 90 credits.
The total number of credits for program completion varies depending on the specialization chosen.
Specialized knowledge and skills are required to become a Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC®) through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP). Our curriculum was designed specifically to help professionals complete all of the specialized coursework to achieve certification.
The EdD-SPP is conferred upon the student who has fulfilled the following requirements:
- Maintenance of enrollment eligibility through satisfactory academic performance, professional development and behavior.
- Successful completion of all required courses and program requirements or approved equivalents in a student’s EdD program path with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all required coursework.
- Successful completion of minimum graduation requirements as officially communicated to students through the university catalog, student publications, and other official documents of the university.
- Freedom from all indebtedness and other obligations to the university.
Graduates of the EdD-SPP program will be able to:
- Describe major concepts and current trends in research pertaining to mental health counseling and sport psychology.
- Identify and explain the legal and ethical issues involved with mental health counseling and consulting in sport psychology.
- Demonstrate the ability to design activities and ethical interventions in sport and performance contexts.
- Communicate through discussion and writing the terminology, concepts, and connections between science, counseling and sport psychology.
- Recognize and integrate a variety of techniques available to improve health, enhance performance, and overall wellness.
8 AASP Knowledge Competency Areas:
- K1 – Professional Ethics and Standards
- K2 – Sport Psychology
- K3 – Sport Science
- K4 – Psychopathology
- K5 – Helping Relationships
- K6 – Research Methods and Statistics
- K7 – Psychological Foundations of Behavior
- K8 – Diversity and Culture
The purpose of the EdD program in sport and performance psychology is to offer advanced training for individuals in psychology, education, coaching, business, health care, leadership and administrative careers. The doctor of education in sport and performance psychology degree is a blend between a research-oriented doctoral program and an applied clinical psychology doctorate designed to allow students to meet their specific career goals and educational needs. The program includes two options; 1) individual studies and 2) positive leadership and administration (PLA). Each of the doctoral program options requires 86 quarter-credits (equivalent to 57.3 semester credits). The curriculum addresses the eight (K1-K8) Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) knowledge competency areas.
The program is comprised of a sport and performance psychology core curriculum of 11 courses (42 credits), a minimum of 7 elective courses (28 credits) from an extensive list of options and a culminating experience of either the SPP mentorship or dissertation.
- Field Experience
The UWS catalog houses the curriculum, course descriptions, curriculum sequence and other helpful information about the program. View the current catalog.
Concentrations and Specializations
EdD Individual Studies Option
This option is designed to help people complete all of the AASP coursework requirements and for those who are interested in multiple areas including coaching, positive leadership, athletic administration, wellness, counseling, and sports nutrition. This is also a good option for students who already have a master’s degree in counseling.
Students who enroll in the Individual Studies or PLA concentration pathways must complete the K1-K8 CMPC coursework requirements in order to qualify to register for the SPP Mentorship culminating experience option. Students who are already Certified Mental Performance Consultant (CMPC®) through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) must complete the dissertation:
- SPP mentorship (*this option counts towards CMPC® mentorship hours)
EdD Positive Leadership and Administration Concentration
Positive psychology is the scientific study of the strengths that enable individuals and communities to thrive. The field is founded on the belief that people want to lead meaningful and fulfilling lives, to cultivate what is best within themselves and to enhance their experiences of love, work, and play. Positive leadership applies the principles of positive psychology to the challenges in competitive sport environments and in the workplace. This concentration is intended to help leaders and their teams or organizations succeed through a gained understanding of human motivations and behaviors, and how to apply that understanding to achieve extraordinary results in:
- Long-term motivation
- Team and business functional effectiveness
- Effective work processes
- Organizational design/structure that leads to optimal performance
Specialization in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
UWS also offers a Doctorate of Education in Sport and Performance Psychology with a Clinical Mental Health Counseling specialization for those interested in pursuing counseling licensure as well as an EdD in SPP. This integrated EdD degree includes a master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling conferred after the first 90 credits.