Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine
The human nutrition and functional medicine (HNFM) program at University of Western States (UWS) is the only fully accredited master’s program in functional medicine. It is 100 percent online and is offered as a collaborative endeavor between UWS and the Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM), the organization that founded and developed the key functional medicine concepts in use today.
Students can choose to receive a master of science degree or a graduate certificate in human nutrition and functional medicine. Candidates for either program are eligible for financial aid.
What do you need?
Prerequisite Entrance Requirements
Master of Science Program
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) or first professional degree.
GPA Requirements: Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. *Applicants with a GPA below 2.75 please contact admissions.
Minimum Education: Master’s or Doctoral degree in a health care discipline (DC, ND, MD, DO, NP, PA, etc.)
GPA Requirements: Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
*Applicants with a GPA below 3.0 may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Physiology or Anatomy and Physiology
- Biochemistry (Biochemistry is required to have been successfully completed within eight years of the start of your program. If your biochemistry coursework dates back longer than eight years, you may be required to complete a recent course for college credit. UWS offers a course in biochemistry to fulfill this prerequisite.)
- Medical Terminology
*There are a number of places to get your prerequisites done. Contact your advisor for recommendations.
Technology Requirements: Since this is an online program, you must have access to a reliable computer, basic computer skills and a dependable connection to the Internet.
- 1 quarter credit = .67 semester credits
- 1.5 quarter credits = 1 semester credit
- 5 quarter credits = 3.33 semester credits
How to Apply
Entry Terms and Application Deadlines
Entry Terms: fall, spring, summer
Admission Deadlines: Applicants are encouraged to submit their application and all supporting documents sixty days prior to their intended start date. Listed below are the priority and final deadlines that may be helpful in planning your application submission.
Priority Application Deadline – May 22
Final Application Deadline – June 5
Deposit Deadline – June 19
Classes begin July 6, 2020
Priority Application Deadline – August 20
Final Deadline – September 3
Deposit Deadline – September 17
Classes begin October 4, 2021
Priority Application Deadline- August 21
Final Application Deadline- September 4
Deposit Deadline- September 18
Classes begin October 5, 2020
Priority Application Deadline – February 19
Final Deadline – March 5
Deposit Deadline- March 19
Classes begin April 5, 2020
- Applicants with in-progress coursework will still be considered for admission and are asked to submit final transcripts upon course completion.
- We understand that some applicants may be waiting on final grades from prerequisite coursework to submit final official transcripts after the final deposit deadline.
- We require that students submit their entire application, supporting documentation and be successfully interviewed and deposited by the deposit deadline.
- If you are unable to submit your application and materials by the final deadline, please contact the admissions office at [email protected] or 800-641-5641.
- Transcripts: UWS requires official transcripts from all prior college and universities. Official transcripts should be mailed directly from those institutions to the UWS office of admissions. Our mailing address is: 8000 NE Tillamook St., Portland, OR 97213. UWS also accepts electronic transcripts from EScript-Safe and Parchment. Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded and attached to your application.
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Applicants are encouraged to use professional or academic references whom are most familiar with your former studies, academic interest and work.
- Interview: A personal interview is required of all applicants. The UWS office of admissions will contact you directly to schedule a personal interview after your application and transcripts have been reviewed. Interviews may be completed either in-person or via Zoom video conference.
- $50 application fee
- International applicants must also fulfill the international student admission requirements.