Veterans Benefits

If you are a veteran, member of the Reserves or member of the National Guard, and plan to attend University of Western States, you may be eligible for educational benefits through the Veterans’ Administration. Benefits may also be available to eligible spouses and/or children of veterans. Check your eligibility status by calling 800-827-1000.

University of Western States is proud to support eligible veterans through its continued participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

How to Apply

Certification Required
To receive education benefits you must be certified, a process that can take up to three months. Your first step is to go to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website and apply for your federal GI Bill® education benefits utilizing their Application for VA Education Benefits. Applicants for Chapter 31 must meet with a US Department of Veterans Affairs counselor.

Once you have applied for benefits and registered for classes, you will need to submit a copy of your approval to the office of the registrar. The office of the registrar will then issue a Verification of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999) via VA ONCE to inform the VA that you are enrolled at University of Western States and requesting education benefits.

Chapter 33 VA Students: Chapter 33 VA students using their Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits at Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) and Non-College Degree (NCD) facilities who receive a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payment are required to verify their enrollment each month to continue receiving their payments. Learn more about how the enrollment verification process works.

If you have any questions that have not been answered here, please contact a UWS veteran services coordinator.

UWS Veteran Services Coordinators:

Call 800-827-1000 for more information about other veteran benefits and services.


Who are the veteran services coordinators at UWS?

The veteran service coordinators can be contacted with any questions regarding your veterans benefits.

UWS Veteran Services Coordinators:

Where do I start?

Your first step should be to check your eligibility status. Once you confirm your eligibility, you can apply online at the Once you have applied for your education benefits through the Veterans Administration, then return the necessary paperwork, including your Certificate of Eligibility letter, to the university’s veteran’s services coordinator. The VA determines the amount of benefits to be paid toward the student’s education.

Which veterans educational benefits are covered at UWS?

The VA sets the amount each year (program year is August 1 through July 31). Amounts vary by program benefit and there is a maximum benefit for each year with the exception of the Yellow Ribbon Program. VA Educational Benefits are limited to a monthly stipend and/or payment of mandatory tuition and fees to the university. Benefits only pay stipends for the months school attendance is reported and payments are pro-rated based on enrollment level as well as pro-rated for partial months of attendance.

University of Western States accepts the following VA educational benefits:

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty
  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
  • Chapter 32: Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
  • Chapter 33: Post 9-11 GI Bill®
  • Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEAP)
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Which programs can I use my benefits for at UWS?

The following programs have been approved for VA educational benefits:

  • Doctor of Chiropractic
  • Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
  • Doctor of Clinical Nutrition
  • EdD Sport and Performance Psychology
  • MS Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine
  • MS Sports Medicine
  • MS Sport and Performance Psychology
  • MS Clinical Mental Health Counseling
  • MS Mental Health
  • Certificate – Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine
  • Certificate – Applied Sport Psychology

How much does my program cost?

Does University of Western States participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes, University of Western States participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. We accept an unlimited amount of participants and offer an unlimited contribution amount. To qualify, you must be at 100 percent benefit rate under Chapter #33.

What do I need to do after I am accepted at University of Western States?

Once you are accepted you will need to contact the office of the registrar to let us know. We have two forms for you to fill out and we will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter. If you are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program, we will have you fill out that separate application. Also, you will need to submit all of your previous transcripts.

What happens after I start at University of Western States?

At the beginning of every term, the registrar’s office will certify your enrollment with the VA. The university follows the regulations required in section 3679(e) of Title 38 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018.

How does monthly housing allowance work?

Your monthly housing allowance (MHA) is generally the same as the military basic allowance for housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. Your MHA is based on the zip code for your school. MHA rate increases based on BAH increases are effective August 1 (the beginning date of the academic year). The housing allowance is paid at a percentage based on your training time.

Are there other types of federal aid not administered by the VA?

UWS offers financial aid packages that may include scholarships, grants, loans, and federal work study. To utilize federal financial aid, students must file a FAFSA each year. 

For further information regarding federally funded financial aid, please contact [email protected]. 

Does UWS accept transfer credit?

UWS accepts transfer credits, including military credits, so long as the credits satisfy degree requirements.  Transfer credits are applied toward courses in a degree program through a review process coordinated by the dean, the registrar and/or program director. Credits may be considered for transfer from other programs or institutions if the originating entity was accredited at the time the credits were earned by the student. View policy 2007 – transfer credits

VA.GOV Resources

The website is a great resource for general veteran’s benefits. The site includes information about:

  • Burial and memorial benefits
  • Health benefits and services
  • Life insurance program and compensation and pension benefits
  • Vocational rehabilitation and employment services
  • Home loan guaranty services

Call 800-827-1000 for more information about other veteran benefits and services.

Additional consumer information

Consumer information

Professional licensure information

In compliance with the U.S. Department of Education, University of Western States (UWS) provides information pertaining to professional licensure and certification for all relevant programs.  While few states offer formal approval of educational programs, the program may meet all or a portion of the “educational” and “clinical hour” requirements. Please contact the licensing agency directly to review and compare the program requirements with those of the agency.   

Please note that licensure requirements are always subject to change. Although the University of Western States will confirm the licensure requirements on a routine basis, we strongly recommend that you inquire with the state board to confirm that you understand and will meet the requirements for licensure before enrolling in your program of choice. Additionally, while progressing through any of these programs, we recommend that you check licensing agency requirements regularly to monitor whether they have changed in a manner that impacts your licensure plans. 

More information on professional licensure/certifications may be found at Professional Licensure Disclosure – University of Western States ( 

Comparison information

University of Western States has a very specific focus, “to advance the science and art of integrated health care through excellence in education and patient care” (UWS Mission Statement, 2021-2022 Catalog, p. 1).  UWS is a graduate school that focuses on health-related professional and graduate degrees.  In comparing UWS’ financial aid packages offered by different educational institutions, the student should compare our institution to other like-minded institutions.  To that end, students may wish to explore the following websites: 

College of Chiropractic 

Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE): provides a list of accredited doctor of chiropractic programs. 

College of Graduate Studies 

There are multiple programs offered through the college of graduate studies, many are unique to UWS. Programs include a master of science in clinical mental health counseling, a doctor of clinical nutrition, a master of science in human nutrition and functional medicine, a master of science in sports medicine, a master of science in sport and performance psychology, and a doctor of education in sport and performance psychology. Students may wish to visit the following websites to learn more about the various fields:  

To compare UWS to different educational institutions, students should search graduate programs that offers master’s degrees in counseling, functional medicine, nutrition, sports medicine, and sport psychology.