The UWS office of the registrar maintains permanent student admission and academic records. The office staff processes grade reports, fulfills transcript requests, makes records available to students and others as allowed by federal, state law and institutional policy and processes veteran’s education benefits.

Questions? Contact the friendly campus registrar team at 503-847-2560.


Click on a button below to find out more information.


Transcript Requests

The office of the registrar is now offering electronic transcripts. However, we will still mail official transcripts and duplicate diplomas upon request. Official transcripts are generally prepared and released within 3-5 business days of request. Additional time should be allowed for requests of student records when the last date of attendance was 10 or more years ago or if requests are made during peak periods and university closures. Transcripts are still made available for UWS programs that have been discontinued.

Students with holds on their account that block the release of their official documents must resolve the hold with the appropriate campus office before the registrar’s office will release the document.

A common error that requestors make is not checking to see if their final grades or graduation have posted before ordering their final record. If you would like your transcripts to be held until final grades or a graduation date is posted, be sure to indicate these special handling instructions on your request. Documents will be provided as requested and no refunds will be issued.

Order transcripts here.

Enrollment Verification

Enrollment verification requests must be made in writing. Federal guidelines require your signature to release academic information. Your request may be mailed, faxed or brought to the office of the registrar in person. There is no charge for an enrollment verification. It may take as many as five business days before the enrollment verification will be produced and mailed, faxed or is able to be picked up at the front desk. If your request is urgent, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.

Note: If you are an outside agency requesting a verification, the request must be in writing and accompanied by a signed release from the former student allowing us to release the information.

Download UWS enrollment verification form.

Replacement Diploma

Replacement or duplicate diplomas are available for a fee to graduates of the institution. All replacement diplomas carry the following statement: “Reissue of original diploma, signed by current officers of the University of Western States. Diploma originally issued under the authority of Western States Chiropractic College.” Please note that diploma orders may take up to three months to process.

Duplicate diploma requests must be made in writing. Federal guidelines require your signature to release academic information. Your request may be mailed, faxed or brought to the office of the registrar in person along with the payment.

Download UWS diploma request form.

Veteran’s Educational Benefits

If you are a veteran, member of the Reserves or member of the National Guard, and plan to attend University of Western States, you may be eligible for educational benefits through the Veterans’ Administration. Benefits may also be available to eligible spouses and/or children of veterans. Check your eligibility status by calling 800-827-1000.

University of Western States is proud to support eligible veterans through its continued participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Once you have applied for your education benefits through the Veterans’ Administration, then you will bring the necessary paperwork to the university’s veteran’s services coordinator.

UWS Veteran Services Coordinator:
Michelle Dodge, 503-251-5710, [email protected]

Call 800-827-1000 for more information about other veteran benefits and services.

Find out more about veteran benefits at UWS here.

Change of Name

A student’s name of record includes first name, middle initial or full middle name and the family name. The college will change the name of a currently enrolled student or alumnus on its official records upon receipt of a request in writing accompanied by evidence of the legal basis for the change. A record of the previous name will be maintained, but all official documents will be released under the new name. Students who wish to change their legal name with the college may do so by submitting the name change form and required documentation to the registrar’s office (U.S. citizens – social security card; Non-U.S. citizens – passport/court issued documents).

Download UWS change of name form.

Change of Address

A student who changes their address should submit an address change form to the office of the registrar. The registrar will then notify other offices.

Download UWS change of address form.


Add/Drop Period

The add/drop period begins on the first day of the term and goes through the Friday of the first week of the term, regardless of when you sign up for a class.

Download the UWS Add/Drop form.

Leave of Absence and Withdrawal

Occasionally students need to take time away from school to attend to personal matters, medical matters or to pursue additional educational enrichment opportunities. UWS provides the following options for taking time away from the college.

Policy 1239 Leave of Absence and Withdrawal describes the processes for taking an approved leave of absence and for permanent withdrawal from the university. When a student wishes to take a leave of absence or to withdraw from UWS, it is the student’s responsibility to complete the appropriate form(s) and obtain the necessary clearances within a timely manner. Any student who stops attending during a term and does not submit the appropriate documentation to process a leave of absence or withdrawal within five days from the last date of attendance will be administratively withdrawn and any applicable financial aid funds will be returned. Pursuant to Policy 3025 Student Financial Responsibility and Policy 3021 Tuition and Fee Refunds, students are responsible for financial obligations to the university resulting from the return of financial aid funds. If a student fails to properly complete and submit the necessary form(s) and does not register for and attend classes by the close of the non-penalty drop/add period, he or she will be administratively withdrawn from the university and any financial aid will be returned.

Download the UWS leave of absence form.

Download the UWS withdrawal form.


Annual FERPA Notification

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.

Those rights are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days from when the university receives a request for access.
  2. Students should submit written requests to the office of the registrar that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. A university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, the student shall be advised of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  3. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights. Students may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or they may identify the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  4. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to university officials with legitimate educational interests. A university official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Higher Education; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another university official in performing his or her tasks. A university official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  5. The right to refuse to permit the designation of any or all of the following categories of personally identifiable information as directory information. Any student wishing to exercise this right must inform the registrar in writing.
    • Student name
    • Address
    • Telephone number
    • Email address
    • Date and place of birth
    • Photograph
    • Dates of attendance
    • Enrollment status
    • Degrees and awards received
    • Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by student
  6. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by UWS to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

FERPA Administration Office:
Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue
 Washington, DC

Choosing to release information? Please complete the FERPA release form.

Choosing to block your directory information? Please fill out the request for non-disclosure of directory information.


Registrar’s Office
University of Western States
2900 NE 132nd Avenue
Portland, OR 97230-3099

Please send your fax request to the attention of the registrar at fax number 503-251-5731.

If you have questions, please call the registrar at 503-847-2560 or email at [email protected].

Note: Do NOT send your order via email.

Explore alumni benefits and services here.