Helpful information for international applicants entering into UWS online programs.
University of Western States master’s and doctoral programs are internationally recognized and allow you to complete your degree on your own time, without ever leaving your home country.
Benefits for Online Students
Advantages of choosing UWS online programs for your education:
- No visa required for international students enrolling in online degree programs.
- No difference in tuition and fees for students enrolling from in-state, out-of-state or outside of the U.S.
- UWS online curriculums utilize current information that is continually reviewed and updated with new research and findings.
- Online students receive the same diploma and transcripts as on-campus students.
- Students are able to study from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.
- Students engage with classmates from all over the world.
- Our online programs have students from many different countries including: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, United Kingdom, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, Taiwan and the United Arab Emirates.
- UWS is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Candidates whose education has been completed outside of the United States or Canada must have their credentials evaluated by a NACES-affiliated international education evaluation service, such as WES, and a course-by-course analysis is required. Results should be sent directly to the UWS office of admissions.
TOEFL Score of 80 or Above
Prospective students for whom English is not their native language must provide proof of adequate English language skills. UWS expects a minimum score of 80 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). In places where TOEFL iBT testing is not possible, a paper-based version of the test is available. TOEFL scores may be reported directly to UWS using institutional code number 4979.
Learn more about the admissions process at UWS.
Financial Aid for International Students
Canadian Student Aid
Students are eligible to apply for aid from Canada while attending University of Western States. Interested students will need to contact specific provinces to identify the appropriate application to qualify for federal and/or provincial financial aid. Learn more.
Canadian students apply for student aid each year by completing an application online through the student financial assistance website of your home province or territory. Application forms should be submitted by March 1 of each year for priority processing. In addition, some Canadian students elect to access a student line of credit from a Canadian bank.
A number of UWS students have worked with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC). A CIBC Professional Edge Student personal line of credit may help ease the financial burden. Vancouver CIBC advisors are able to work directly with students, or refer business to another CIBC Banking Centre based on the student’s preferred location. Find more information here.
Aid for Other Countries
Non-Canadian countries may also have financial aid available for study at UWS, which usually requires the recipient to return home after the education is complete. Contact the cultural section of your embassy or ministry of education for more information since there are some awards that require governmental nomination. Additional sources of financial aid for international students to study in the U.S. may be private organizations in your country such as, businesses, foundations and religious groups.