Tax Forms

University of Western States provides students with the following tax forms:

Form 1098-T FAQ

Where can I get general 1098-T form information?

What is a 1098-T tax form?

The 1098-T form is used by UWS to report information about its degree-seeking students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.

UWS reports the amount of tuition and related expenses that have been paid by a student during the calendar year as well as any scholarships or grants that have been credited to student’s account during that year. 

What are students supposed to do with the form when they receive it?

The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.

Who receives a 1098-T form?

Students who are U.S. citizens OR permanent residents and whose enrollment credits are leading to a post-secondary degree will receive a completed 1098-T form from University of Western States.

Who does not automatically receive a 1098-T form?

The following students do not receive a 1098-T form:

  • Nonresident alien (international student)
  • Students enrolled in courses that do not lead to a post-secondary degree at UWS
  • Students with a third party contract which pays 100% of tuition (tuition waiver, VA educational benefits, etc.)

If you need your 1098-T form please contact the business office.

 When do students receive the 1098-T form?

The business office sends 1098-T forms out to students by January 31 of each year.

University of Western States is offering you the opportunity to retrieve your 1098-T form online. We have contracted with a specialized provider for this service.

IRS regulations state that each student, who wishes to receive their 1098-T electronically must also provide his/her consent electronically. Therefore, if you wish to take advantage of this you must follow the steps below:

  1. Go to
  2. Enter the Site ID: 10649
  3. User Name: Your 9-digit student ID without dashes (you can find it on your student ID card or by logging into myUWS/Finances or by contacting the business office)
  4. Password: Last four digits of your SSN*

*If you have previously logged in then your password is what you changed it to and not the last four of your SSN. There is a forgot password option available on the login screen.

For security reasons, you will be prompted to change your password. Enter your current password (last four digits of your SSN) and then enter a new password. Students who do not have an SSN or did not provide one to the school must enter 0000 for the temporary password. After clicking log in, an automated email will be sent to your email address on file (typically UWS email) and allow you to reset your password. 

Once you have entered your new password, you will be presented with the online consent form. If you agree, click on “Consent”.  If you consent, you will NOT be mailed a 1098-T and must return to the site after January 31 to view/print a copy of your 1098-T form. Your consent will apply to all years going forward.

We ask that you take advantage of this service to reduce costs and lessen the environmental impact.

If you have any questions, please contact the business office at 971-449-9215 or [email protected].

What do I use if I do not have a 1098-T?

Please contact the business office.

I no longer have access to UWS account. How can I get a copy of my 1098-T?

To obtain a copy of your 1098-T form, please contact the business office.

What is the definition of qualified educational expenses?

All tuition and related fees are qualified educational expenses including enrollment fees, student affairs fees, technology fees, laboratory fees and equipment fees. See qualified education expenses.

Who should a student contact with questions about the content of their 1098-T form?

Students can contact the business office with any questions about the content of the 1098-T or to request a 1098-T.

Form TL11A FAQ

Where can I get general TL11A form information?

What is a TL11A tax form?

The TL11A form is used by UWS to certify enrollment and eligible tuition fees for a qualifying student taking courses at a university outside of Canada.

Who receives a form TL11A?

Unless the student is a deemed a resident of Canada, for tuition fees to qualify and be recorded and certified on Form TL11A, all of the following conditions have to be met:

  • Student has to be in full-time attendance at a university outside of Canada
  • Each course for which tuition fees are entered on the form must last at least three consecutive weeks
  • Each course must also lead to a degree of at least the bachelor level
  • Tuition fees must consist of eligible fees and must have been paid for the calendar year shown on the form

To be considered as being in full-time attendance, the student must be enrolled on a full-time basis and be either physically present on the campus of the foreign university, or virtually present at the university in scheduled, interactive, course-related activities conducted online.

A student participating in university studies that do not lead to a degree is not eligible for the tuition tax credit on Form TL11A, unless they commute regularly from Canada to a U.S. post-secondary educational institution or is a deemed resident of Canada. For more information, see the sections on Form TL11C and Form TL11D.

How do students receive the TL11A form?

Please request the form TL11A from the registrar’s office at [email protected]. The registrar will send a SignNow link to the requestor to complete the required information. As soon as the form is fully completed, a requestor will receive a form TL11A via email.