Review this step-by-step guide to ensure you have all the documentation you need for a smooth start at University of Western States.
Step 1: Submit I-20 forms and apply for student visa.
The I-20 is an official document required for all international students in order to apply for an F-1 student visa and to enter into the United States. As a Canadian you are not required to have a consulate interview or receive a visa stamp, but you are required to complete I-20 documents showing proof of funding and maintain your F-1 visa status while studying in the US.
Step 2: Schedule advising appointment.
Please schedule an advising appointment with our international student advisor, Natasha French, within two weeks of acceptance to discuss the visa process and get any questions answered you have about being an international student at UWS. Book your appointment here.
Step 3: Learn more about immigration regulations.
These resources provide a wealth of information about being an international student in the United States.
Step 4: Finance your education with scholarships, grants and provincial aid.
Most of our Canadian students pay for the doctor of chiropractic (DC) and doctor of naturopathic (NMD) programs through a mixture of provincial aid, a line of credit and scholarships.
DC Canadian Scholarship
In response to the fluctuating Canadian dollar, UWS has a DC Canadian Scholarship in which UWS provides Canadian students enrolled in the doctor of chiropractic program a discount on tuition of approximately 20% (international grant + DC Canadian Scholarship) when they maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA in the doctor of chiropractic program. This UWS scholarship is automatically provided to those who qualify with no application required. The DC Canadian Scholarship is subject to modification based on quarterly reviews by the university.
We recommend you apply early for provincial aid or a line of credit if you are hoping to use that to pay for a portion of your living expenses or to satisfy the proof of funding requirement for the I-20 visa document.
- Start applying after receiving an offer of acceptance.
- School code: MWLM, DC Program code: TAI7
- When applying for provincial aid, the application will ask for the start and end dates for the 2023-2024 year.
- Fall 2023 cohort: Start and end dates for the 2023-2024 academic year are October 9, 2023 – September 20, 2024
- Winter 2024 cohort: Start and end dates for the 2023-2024 academic year are January 8, 2024 – December 20, 2024
- When you receive your provincial loan and confirmation of enrollment documentation, email them to [email protected]. They will complete and submit the form(s) on your behalf and keep a copy on file in case you need a record.
- Students from BC filling out the StudentAidBC Appendix 3 should answer “yes” to the “online or blended program” question on their application.
CIBC Line of Credit
CIBC seems to offer the best line of credit package for our chiropractic students, but please feel free to look around and see if you can find a better rate from another bank. Learn more about CIBC credit lines here.
Step 5: Familiarize yourself with our international student resource page.
On our international student resource page you’ll learn about banking, insurance, making payments, employment, taxes, licensure and maintaining your F-1 status in the United States.
UWS is proud of our large population of Canadian students and have a dedicated Canadian student resource page to help you navigate your journey with us.
Step 6: Get to know your new city.
Get to know beautiful, exciting Portland, Oregon and all that it has to offer! Check out these helpful resources as you plan your move.