A master’s degree in sports medicine is a natural fit for health care professionals who desire a specialty practice working with athletes and active populations. A sports medicine master’s degree can open up opportunities to work with various sports teams (high school, collegiate and professional) and in sports-related facilities. In addition, this degree provides appropriate credentials for teaching in higher-education settings.
Offered online, this program also requires an extended weekend lab session (halfway through the program) at the UWS campus in Portland, Oregon. Students will complete four credit hours of practicum experiences through UWS provided sites or through a self-selected site and supervisor that meets programmatic requirements.
UWS chiropractic students can concurrently enroll in the sports medicine program, saving time and money. If a student enrolls in the sports medicine program in 6th quarter, they can finish the chiropractic and sports medicine programs together.
What do you need?
Prerequisite Entrance Requirements
For Current UWS Chiropractic Students (Concurrent):
Current UWS chiropractic students who have earned a bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent) may apply for entry into the master’s in sports medicine during their 5th quarter and start the program in their 6th quarter concurrently with the chiropractic program. Students can graduate with both a chiropractic and master’s in sports medicine degree in three years.
Applicants who are currently enrolled in the UWS chiropractic program without a bachelor’s degree should apply for the Bachelor of Science in human biology during their 5th quarter term to be eligible for the MS sports medicine program in 6th quarter.
- UWS DC students can apply for MS sports medicine in Q4/Q5 and begin the program Q6 or above.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree*.
- Must maintain a 2.75 GPA or above in the DC program.
- Must have 3 semester/4 quarter credits of work in human anatomy/physiology with preference for exercise physiology. Students will have until the end of Q1 to complete the requirement if they don’t already have it. If this condition is not complete by the end of Q1 an admissions hold will be put on their account.
Ready to Apply?
- Access the application. Your username is the personal email address used when you originally applied to the DC program, not your UWS email/password.
- Click on the Continue with UWS button.
- Choose My Applications, then Create New Application
- Select Sports Medicine with Physical Assessment and Rehabilitation in the Program of Interest field at the bottom of the page.
- Select MS Sports Medicine with Physical Assessment and Rehabilitation in the Degree field at the bottom of the page.
- Your term of entry will be your anticipated MS sports medicine start date: DC Q6 or later.
For All Other Applicants
Applicants for the MS sports medicine with a concentration in Performance Nutrition or High Performance Leadership must have a first-professional degree in a field of health care that included coursework equivalent to at least 23.5 quarter credits or 16 semester credits in neuromuscular diagnosis/treatment, biomechanics, soft tissue therapies/rehab or physiological therapeutics. Must have minimum GPA of 2.75 for the first professional degree; 3.0 GPA preferred.
For All Applicants
Technology Requirements: Since this is an online program, you must have access to a reliable computer, basic computer skills and a dependable connection to the Internet.
- 1 quarter credit = .67 semester credits
- 1.5 quarter credits = 1 semester credit
- 5 quarter credits = 3.33 semester credits
How to Apply
Entry Terms and Application Deadlines
Entry Terms: spring, winter
Admission Deadlines: Applicants are encouraged to submit their application and all supporting documents sixty days prior to their intended start date. Listed below are the priority and final deadlines that may be helpful in planning your application submission.
Priority Application Deadline- November 5, 2023
Final Deadline – December 1, 2023
Deposit Deadline – December 1, 2023
Classes begin- January 8, 2024
Priority Application Deadline- February 4, 2024
Final Deadline – February 18, 2024
Deposit Deadline – March 1, 2024
Classes begin- April 8, 2024
- Applicants with in-progress coursework will still be considered for admission and are asked to submit final transcripts upon course completion.
- We understand that some applicants may be waiting on final grades from prerequisite coursework to submit final official transcripts after the final deposit deadline.
- We require that students submit their entire application, supporting documentation and be successfully interviewed and deposited by the deposit deadline.
- If you are unable to submit your application and materials by the final deadline, please contact the admissions office at [email protected] or 800-641-5641.
FOR CURRENT UWS CHIROPRACTIC STUDENTS (CONCURRENT):
Essay* (500 words) describing:
- How would completion of the sports medicine program at University of Western States benefit your professional and career goals?
- How do you see attaining this degree enhancing your patient/client care abilities and skills?
- Please relate your response to any prior experience you have clinically or professionally where appropriate.
Resume or CV – This can be the same as the resume from your DC application if nothing has changed.
Official transcripts– Not required unless you’ve taken additional college/university courses since you started the DC program.
Bachelor’s Degree – Confirmation of degree (transcript) or submitted application for BS in Human Biology with UWS
$50 application fee
*Please submit new essays for the MS sports medicine program. Essays submitted for your DC application will not be accepted.
If you have any questions about the program, application process or eligibility requirements, please contact [email protected] or 800-641-5641.
Learn more on our virtual admissions page!
Additional Requirements for Full Acceptance
- Successful completion of a background check through our approved partner, Advanced Reporting. A link to complete this process will be sent to you upon your offer of conditional acceptance to UWS.