Dr. Jaime Sawchuk received a BA in psychology with a minor in coaching at New Mexico Highlands University where she also played collegiate soccer. She then completed her MEd in Community Counseling from the University of Alaska Fairbanks and in 2018, she graduated from University of Western States with my EdD in Sport and Performance Psychology where her dissertation focused on implementing a career/transition curriculum to junior ice hockey players in the Pacific Northwest.
Dr. Sawchuk currently works as a mental health clinician at an integrated behavioral health, addiction medicine and primary care clinic where she is a licensed professional counselor. She also consults with multiple hockey teams of all ages in California, Washington, Oregon and Alaska teaching them mental skills training and mindfulness. Dr. Sawchuk started as a course facilitator in the SPP Program at UWS in 2016 and was moved to an adjunct professor in 2019.
Off campus, her interests include exploring Alaska’s wilderness and engaging in house remodeling projects.
She lives in Alaska with her husband, newborn daughter and two huskies.
Brief Student Bio: Jaime is a former college athlete who played soccer at New Mexico Highlands University. She has a passion for athletics and strives for a career in the sports realm.
- Why did you choose UWS? Why did you choose SPP? I chose UWS because the online program allows me to work full time while pursuing a degree in something I love. UWS will also get me ready for licensure in many different areas in psychology and counseling. I have always had a passion for sports and wanted to specialize in working with athletes by helping with their mental preparedness.
- What has been your favorite class? All of the classes have been interesting so far, but I would have to say my favorite is “Psychological Preparation and Mental Skills Training.”
- What has been your experience with learning in SPP’s online environment? The online environment is amazing. I am a visual learner, so the weekly readings and assigned videos are very conducive to my learning style.
- What has been the most surprising part of attending UWS? I was shocked to be able to physically go to campus! It’s located in a very cute neighborhood. I was not planning on going to campus, given my classes are online, but the school is located in a great and accessible spot in Portland.
- What do you hope to do after graduation? I hope to work full time as a sport psychology consultant at a college or with a professional team. I also would also enjoy teaching classes or having a private practice.
- Favorite way to get some stress out from school? I recently started doing Barre! It’s a mixture of Pilates, ballet and yoga. It’s amazing.