Dr. Walter McCutcheon is a proud Canadian who says “eh” once in a while, loves hockey and curling. For more than 25 years, Dr. McCutcheon has been helping individuals reach their potential in the field of performance improvement. He has guided performers from a variety of sports and performance arenas, educating and mentoring them in mental skills training (MST) toward focused performance improvement.
On a personal note, Dr. McCutcheon is an individual who lives with disabilities. He prefers this statement over the concept of being “handicapped.” His struggles give him a unique perspective on human stress, pressure and how setbacks affect performers. Of his many interests, Dr. McCutcheon is also a motivational speaker and accomplished vocalist, musician, writer and actor. As a principal research investigator for UWS, Dr. McCutcheon is currently leading a research team focused on two populations: esport athletes and performing artists.
Areas of Expertise
As a mental performance specialist, Dr. McCutcheon works with professional, university and high school athletes. Coaches, teams and individuals he has worked with have successfully competed in state, national and international competitions. He also works with those who compete in the world of esports such as the games League of Legends, Overwatch and Rocket League. With his connection to the performing arts, Dr. McCutcheon enjoys his time working with performing artists and provides workshops for this valuable performance population.
- Performing artists MST integration and mental health support
- Esports MST creation, implementation and player development
- Gender self-identity development as it relates to sport
- Diversity and gender experience in sport
- Indigenous Athlete MST program development
- Use of mental skill interventions in the acquisition of sport motor skills
- Emergency Services MST program development