About the SPP Master's Program
Downloadable Program Planner
To improving advising, please complete this downloadable MS-SPP program planner and send it to your program representative when you schedule your advising appointment.
COUN7440 Applied Motor Learning (4 credits) COUN8100 Skill Acquisition and Human Performance (4 credits) LEAD7140 Positive Coaching (4 credits) LEAD8310 Communication in Leadership Positions (4 credits) LEAD8485 Positive Leadership in Sport (4 credits)
Positive Coaching Concentration
This course identifies the various ways that people learn to move and how the principles of motor performance and learning can be useful to those in teaching, coaching, and consultant positions. This course takes an applied approach to understanding motor control, motor development, and motor learning. Emphasis is given to understanding how skilled movement is gained, regulated, and adapted. Students will learn the factors that influence skill acquisition and how to design effective practices for consistent performance. (4+0)
This course examines the acquisition of skills and human performance from the perspectives of motor learning, cognitive learning, and affective learning. Students are allowed to select sports and positive coaching readings in order to complete a series of reports. These sports and positive coaching readings will consist of topics such as self-determination theory, theory of planned behavior, leadership, communication, skill acquisition, and risk management. The focus of this course is to enhance the student’s knowledge concerning positive coaching and the profession of sports coaching. (4+0)
This course will apply the principles of positive coaching to increase effectiveness and improve performance in the areas of sport, exercise and wellness. Students will recognize and learn to communicate evidence-based positive coaching principles to strive for excellence; achieve optimal performance; teach and model the process of success; lead a group to becoming a highly effective team; communicate with followers as we would wish to be communicated with by our leaders; respecting and protecting self-worth of everyone; practice how to be demanding without being demeaning; and how to shape an individual’s will without breaking their spirit. (4+0) *Prerequisite – COUN6536 Foundations of Counseling
This course examines effective communication in leadership positions and teaches how to use positive communication techniques and processes within higher education, business, athletic administration and coaching positions. Students will gain an awareness of the positive communication skills it takes to succeed in these professions as well as resources for continual improvement. Students will practice using effective leadership communication skills through simulated leadership scenarios. Students will complete a mock job interview for a future leadership position of their choice. This is to help students conceptualize the dynamics of leadership position interviewing to be more successful. (4+0)
A positive leadership philosophy requires positive leadership delivery. This course is designed to prepare leaders to bridge content knowledge to practical application. Students will use core competencies learned within their concentration to develop their leadership approach. (4+0) *Positive Coaching Concentration Prerequisite: MSE7415 Positive Coaching
COUN7440 Applied Motor Learning (4 credits)
COUN8100 Skill Acquisition and Human Performance (4 credits)
LEAD7140 Positive Coaching (4 credits)
LEAD8310 Communication in Leadership Positions (4 credits)
LEAD8485 Positive Leadership in Sport (4 credits)
Graduates of the Master of Science in Sport and Performance Psychology will have the competency to:
- Describe major concepts and current trends in research pertaining to the mental health counseling and sport psychology.
- Identify and explain the legal and ethical issues involved with counseling practice and consulting in sport psychology.
- Demonstrate the ability to design activities and ethical interventions in sport and performance contexts that will lead to improved performance and satisfaction.
- Communicate through discussion and writing the terminology, concepts, and connections between science, counseling and sport psychology practice.
- Recognize and integrate a variety of techniques available to improve health, enhance performance, and improve overall wellness.
8 CC-AASP Knowledge Competency Areas:
- K1 – Sport Psychology Professional Ethics and Standards
- K2 – Sport Psychology
- K3 – Sport Science (Physiological Bases of Sport, Historical/Social/Motor Bases of Sport)
- K4 – Psychopathology
- K5 – Helping Relationships (Counseling Skills)
- K6 – Statistics and Research Methods
- K7 – Psychological Foundations (previously C9-C12)
- K8 – Diversity and Culture