Leave Inquiry

Students who wish to take a term off from their program must apply for approved leave. To request an approved leave, read the following information and answer the qualifying question at the bottom of this page.


Leave requests are approved on an individual basis at the discretion of the college dean. To apply for an approved leave, a student must:

  1. Be currently enrolled.
  2. Have completed at least one academic term at UWS.
  3. Be in satisfactory academic standing in accordance with Policy 1218 Academic Standing.
  4. Have leave still available.
  • An approved leave may be granted following term withdrawal or term completion or for extenuating circumstances during a term.
  • Leave may not be requested as a means to avoid course failure, academic sanction or academic dismissal.
  • Leave may be requested whether or not the student has outstanding financial obligations to the university.

Things to Keep in Mind

  • Leave may impact your plan of study and/or date of graduation.
  • An approved leave may impact financial aid status including a possible suspension of financial aid and/or loan repayment. If you have questions related to financial aid, contact [email protected].
  • An approved leave may impact Veteran’s benefits (if applicable). If you are a veteran and have questions about benefits, contact the registrar’s office at [email protected].
  • An approved leave may impact the visa status of international students. If you are an international student and have questions about your visa status, contact the designated school official at [email protected].
  • While on leave, grades will be assigned in accordance with Policy 1207-Grading System.
  • Changes made to the university catalog while on leave may impact your program of study.
  • Refunds or tuition due will be determined according to Policy 3021 Tuition and Fee Refunds.

Deadlines for Requesting Leave

Students are encouraged to submit a leave request as soon as they know they will need a term off.

Finishing a term then going on leave
Students who plan to take a leave after completing the current term, (e.g. take a summer off) must submit a leave request no later than the last week of the current quarter.

Leaving in the middle of a term without completing
Students who have a situation which requires them to stop attending classes in the middle of the term must submit a leave request as soon as possible so the registrar’s office can withdraw you from classes.

Length of Approved Leave

Students granted an approved leave are subject to the following provisions:

  • Students may be granted a maximum of four academic terms of approved leave. The terms do not have to be consecutive.
  • A leave approved for any portion of a term is considered a full term of approved leave.

Returning from Leave/Extending Leave

Students on an approved leave may request modification of their return date, as long as the modification does not extend beyond four total terms of leave. Such requests must occur prior to the expected return date of the original approved leave and are granted at the discretion of the dean. Students who wish to to extend a leave for one or more additional terms should complete another leave request inquiry form. For questions about registration following returning from a leave, contact the registrar.

Continuous Enrollment

University of Western States (UWS) students are required to maintain continuous enrollment from their first term of registration or be on an approved leave until completion of all degree requirements. Students who fail to maintain continuous enrollment without being granted an approved leave are dismissed from the university.

Maximum Enrollment Time

Students are expected to complete their program requirements within the established maximum enrollment time for their academic program. Students who do not complete their program requirements within the maximum enrollment time are subject to academic sanctions. Maximum enrollment for each program is described on page two of Policy 1218 Academic Standing.

Reasons you may be dismissed

  • Failure to attend classes without being granted an approved leave.
  • Failure to return from your leave on the scheduled date, without an approved extension.
  • Failure to register for classes without being granted an approved leave.
  • Dismissals may be appealed using Policy 9009 Student Grievance and Appeal.

Readmission if dismissed

Students who have been dismissed for failure to adhere to the provisions of Policy 1239 Continuous Enrollment, Approved Leave, Involuntary Leave, Withdrawal, Dismissal, and Expulsion must reapply in accordance with Policy 2006 Readmission.

What to expect next

  • Complete form below to start the leave request process.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to monitor their uws.edu email account for next steps, once form is submitted.
  • If the leave is approved, a “UWS Contract for Approved Leave” will be sent to student’s uws.edu account.
  • Student must sign the contract within five (5) days of receipt for the leave approval to be valid.

Do you qualify for approved leave?