POSITION: Head of Library Public Services (Reference, Instruction and Access Services)
REPORTS TO: University Librarian
SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (hours and days may vary)
The Head of Library Public Services develops and supervises delivery of services to online and local patrons, provides assistance to the University Librarian in the administration of library operations and activities, and provides instruction related to information mastery in all formats to courses taught across UWS programs. UWS welcomes applicants with supervisory experience from various work environments and experience in working with health sciences disciplines.
The Head of Library Public Services supervises the following positions:
Access Services Assistant (2)
Inter-Library Loan and Serials Specialist
As assigned by the University Librarian
- Assists in the planning, coordinating, and evaluating of library public services.
- Assists in the development of library policies and procedures.
- Trains and supervises support staff and student workers.
- Conducts yearly staff evaluations for support staff.
- Participates in short-term and long-range planning for library public services.
- In the case that the University librarian is absent, assumes responsibilities of University Librarian.
- Assists in developing, maintaining, and evaluating the collection to support instructional programs.
- Assists University Librarian in directing operations of library public services for students and faculty.
- Gathers, compiles and creates reports, and analysis of library statistics specific to public services.
- Engages and participates with wider academic community to stay abreast of trends and leverage regional resources.
- Participates in university committees as appropriate.
Instruction and Reference
- Identifies unique concerns of specific learning communities and establishes outreach and support for each.
- Provides customized information literacy skills instruction in person and online in collaboration with faculty.
- Teaches an Information Mastery course in the D.C. program.
- Creates and maintains a library of instructional materials and self-directed learning materials, including handouts, web tutorials, screen capture videos, and research guides (LibGuides).
- Creates and maintains meaningful programmatic assessment of library instruction, whenever/wherever it occurs.
- Provides library orientation to incoming faculty and staff.
- Collaborates with campus entities such as the Center for Teaching and Learning to identify integrated opportunities for online information literacy instruction and to increase/improve the library’s presence within the online course environment.
- Assists students and faculty with basic library needs and reference, including conducting research, selecting needed material, and developing research strategies.
REQUIREMENTS: (Education, Training and Experience)
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA (American Library Association) accredited program.
- Four (4) years of experience in a library service area.
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated competence in academic reference and instruction, both face-to-face and online.
- Demonstrated expertise in searching medical literature, including the use of PubMed, EBSCOhost databases (e.g. MEDLINE, CINAHL, DynaMed), and other health science information resources desired.
- Experience working with health sciences programs or in an academic health sciences setting preferred.
- Experience with automated library systems.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
APPLICATION, SCREENING AND HIRING PROCESS:
The anticipated start date for this position is October 1, 2019. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit a cover letter, a resume or CV, and the names and contact information of three professional references.
University of Western States conducts background checks for the finalist or finalists of staff and faculty positions. The type of background check will vary by position type.
University of Western States is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please visit our website at: https://www.uws.edu/about/employment/.
Click on the big, orange button and follow the prompts.
You may attach your materials as Word or PDF documents.