The University of Western States exercise and sport science program prepares its graduates with the following competencies:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the scientific method and principles of biology, anatomy, and physiology as they relate to human movement and physical activity.
- Critically evaluate, interpret, and integrate information from the scientific literature in the discipline to describe factors related to human movement and physical activity.
- Demonstrate an understanding of advanced concepts and topics within the field by applying critical thinking to solve problems from personal, scholarly and professional perspectives.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role physical activity and exercise play in human health and well-being and be able to articulate those concepts in a scientific and professional manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the importance and impact of physical activity and nutrition on one’s health and be an advocate for developing a physically active lifestyle.
Pick a concentration below to explore the curriculum.
Health and Wellness Promotion
This concentration provides a foundation in the study of human movement and the roles physical activity and exercise play in human health. It provides better understanding on how to work within any community to promote overall health and well-being through lifestyle changes.