Incoming Chiropractic Student Blog: Tips from an Upper Quarter Student No. 1 – iPads

By: Caitlin Jones, Q8 UWS doctor of chiropractic and sports medicine student

Congratulations on your acceptance into the UWS Doctor of Chiropractic program! With the fall 2020 quarter being completely online, I thought I’d share a couple of tidbits as an upper quarter student. After talking to a few incoming students, the question I’ve gotten the most has been about the iPad. As an Android user that really liked old school paper and pen, I had the same questions coming into the program. Now I have completely ditched my notebooks and am fully onboard with the iPad! 

As you’re shopping, I’d recommend getting one that is compatible with the Apple Pencil. That tool is one of my favorite things to use for studying! Professors give you their slides as PDFs and they contain all the material you need for their exams as well as boards. The pencil is great because you can take notes directly on the slides during their lectures. I also really like creating new notes to condense their slides into my own words. It’s time consuming, but it was really helpful for the most difficult courses. I was also able to easily add pictures for quick reference – which is perfect for studying anatomy! I’ve also known students that drew out the artery, vein and nerve pathways as well as the vertebrae and heart chambers. 

There are several apps that you can use to organize your notes and I personally really like Notability. It’s the best $10 I’ve spent, and you can upload the lecture notes directly to it on your iPad! You can also set up where you want to back it up, which you should absolutely do because I’ve known a couple of friends who have lost all their earlier notes and didn’t have them backed up. I back my notes up to Google Drive and ended up upgrading my storage about a year into the program. I have a few friends that are Apple users and backup to the iCloud. 

As far as iPad size, get whatever is comfortable for you! I have the 258gb and two years in with all my textbooks, notes and everyday use I have about 100gb still free. My roommate has the 128gb and she transfers her notes every quarter to her laptop, so she has about 80gb free.

You’re going to use your iPad daily for the next 12 quarters, so I recommend getting whatever is most comfortable for you! And stayed tuned for the next blog which will be about moving to Portland and how to prepare before starting the program!

If you have any questions about student life, please feel to reach out to me at [email protected].