Spring term: Checking in with the UWS Library Staff

We took some time to check in with the UWS library staff to see how they have adjusted to spring term being delivered all online. Catch up with Katie, Kim, Stephanie, Malia and Karen!

Katie Lockwood, Metadata and Systems Librarian

Katie Lockwood WFH photo

How are some ways you are engaging with students and faculty right now?

I feel thankful to be co-facilitating the Mind Body Medicine course with Chad Lambert this term for a small group of students. I was unsure about how the class would transition to an online environment, but it has been working really well as a synchronous online course. Taking time to connect, meditate and practice mindfulness skills with this group has become a highlight of my week.

Do you have any tips/tricks for working and studying from home?

It has been really helpful for me to maintain a routine and create boundaries between work time and home time. I’ve carved out a space in my house that is only for work, and remind myself to take breaks during the day for walks and quality time with my dog, Willa. 

Do you have any book/journal/podcast recommendations you’d like to pass along?

Jonathan Goldstein’s podcast Heavyweight has been a comfort listen lately. It’s about redemption, forgiveness and moving forward.

What are you most looking forward to in regards to the new library space at the new campus?

I love walking into the space and seeing the big windows looking out at the beautiful trees outside. It’s so light and bright in the new library, and I can’t wait for students to find their favorite place to study. There are many options, but the egg chairs are my favorite! 

Fun question: what has been a project or something you have gotten into during quarantine?

I’m starting a vegetable garden! So far, I’ve planted lettuce, artichokes, garlic and herbs, and I am looking forward to tending and harvesting throughout the spring and summer.

Kim Olson-Charles, Head of Library Public Services/Reference, Instruction and Access Services

Kim-Olson-Charles WFH Photo

There are a few different ways that I am engaging with students and staff now. They are very similar to what I’ve done in the past but online. This quarter I am teaching Q2 Information Mastery and monitor a library skills “mini-course” for HNFM students. I also am available via email, chat and phone for reference questions and other library access questions. I am a pretty social person so not being in the library and around people is hard for me. I feel really fortunate to have my family with me but we’re all pretty social so we’re missing our friends and family a lot.

I could say all of the regular things like keep a routine and make time for yourself but honestly, I’m not that great at it. I do have a sense of pride in knocking things off my list and being seen as someone who gets her stuff done so that is what helps keep me on track. Sometimes it takes me longer than I’d like, but I try to give myself and others around me some grace during this time.

At the beginning of this I thought I’d have all this extra time, so I ordered a bunch of books I’d been wanting to read. I’ve only made it through one. I would recommend some IGTV such as John Krasinski’s SomeGoodNews.Com and SNL, it helps to add some levity to the situation. 

I’m looking forward to having students actually get to use the library to the fullest. I think we’re all going to love how light and bright it is. We’ve worked hard to bring the good hangout location vibe with us but in a new modern space.

I wish I could say I’ve gotten into something super fun. My 22-year-old daughter and 19-year-old son are home and it’s been about three years since all five of us have all lived in the same house, so I feel like my biggest project has been cleaning and sorting out items so we have more space. It’s something I’ve wanted to get done for a while so it feels good. Oh, and my daughter and I have spent a few weekends sewing masks.

Stephanie Debner, University Librarian

Stephanie Debner WFH Photo

I have been responding to faculty and dean requests to get specific resources available in an online format. Within the past month or so, we were able to add an online subscription for the New England Journal of Medicine, which includes all their multimedia resources, at the request of Dr. Kaeser. As a result of working with a faculty member in sports medicine, we were able to add an extended trial access to AccessPhysiotherapy; I’ve heard this resource has also been a big hit among DC students. I highlighted a bunch of online library resources in a toolkit to help faculty to move their courses online and have worked with some faculty on using these resources for classes.

I am also staffing our virtual front lines right now, so I’m engaging with students via phone, email and chat when they have questions about research or searching the literature, strategies for using databases, or making correct citations for their resources. Students will find me at our virtual front desk on Monday mornings, all day on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and every other Saturday. I am going to campus about once a week to handle requests for physical items from the library, either to mail them out or deliver them to the front reception desk on campus for faculty, staff and students to pick up.

To avoid the rut of working in one place for hours and facing a screen for eight hours a day, I make a point to get up periodically and do small tasks around the house. I try to vary the work tasks I’m doing to try to keep my brain refreshed. When possible, I try to space out video meetings via Zoom or Microsoft Teams to avoid visual or cognitive overload.

I’ve been trying to alternate my reading between physical books (Broadway Books in NE Portland has been offering great curbside pickup service) and e-books from the plentiful options available from Multnomah County Library. Recent books I’ve read that I would recommend: Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo, which won the Booker Prize last year; The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon, an excellent read for anyone who’s a fan of epic fantasy; and Unmarriageable by Soniah Kamal, a delightful take on Pride & Prejudice, set in contemporary Pakistan.

I’m looking forward to it being filled with students! I’m curious to see how students will use the new space and all the different study and seating options that are available. I’m excited that all of our models are a lot more visible in the new library space, so I’m hoping this visibility will mean that more students will use these study aids to foster learning and academic success.

I have been writing a lot more letters and cards than I usually do. Recipients include hospitalized cancer patients who can’t have visitors right now and unit health care workers, through a friend of mine who is an oncology nurse at Legacy Good Samaritan. I’ve also been attending a lot of online events, like Science on Tap talks and shows put on by singer-songwriters.

Malia Cumming, Access Services Assistant

Malia Cumming WFH Photo

Through mostly email and chat. A lot of them have been figuring out how to best use our resources while staying at home as much as possible. I also do a lot of interlibrary loan work and so I process a lot of requests for students and faculty. For the most part, requests are processed smoothly through our new Clio system, but sometimes we need to communicate more to ensure requests get fulfilled and to make sure everyone knows about our ILL policies.

Having a consistent spot for my work laptop and desk separate from my bedroom has been really helpful. Even a spot where I’m not only sitting in my bed for most of the time has been helpful. It makes it a lot easier to concentrate on my work while separating my work and home mindsets.

I’m currently reading Black for a Day: White Fantasies of Race and Empathy by Alisha Gaines because of an episode from the podcast, Code Switch, which covers race and cultural issues. I listen to other podcasts such as The Hollywood Read (film and entertainment industry), An Arm and a Leg (journalism on healthcare costs), Keep It! (culture and current events), Dear Prudence (advice), and Reveal (investigative journalism). There’s a lot of other podcasts I like but I don’t want to ramble too much.

The increased natural light, honestly. The few times I’ve been in the new library, the daytime light is really pleasant and relaxing. I think it makes for a more welcoming study space. I also like the new seating, which is all very comfortable.

I’m playing more video games. I started Animal Crossing: New Leaf since I have more time, plus a couple others, but that’s the one I’ve spent the most time on. It’s very charming and relaxing.

Karen Kriberney, Interlibrary Loan and Serials Specialist

Karen Kriberney WFH Photo

I feel grateful to work from home and provide our students uninterrupted interlibrary loan services. I’m very impressed that UWS users have quickly adapted to our new system for submitting interlibrary loans and extend understanding if there is a problem with a request and gratitude for receiving them. Remarkable students and faculty!

Looking forward to exploring the new building and office space…get a slice of sky!